Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are a holiday staple! These are sweet and tart, with a melty texture. Some of my favorites!
COOKIE PEOPLE!! We are officially on Day FIVE of the TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS COOKIES! Are you into it?? I’m geared up for the week because we have some SOLID cookie recipes. If you missed the first few days, scroll down to the bottom of this post to catch up!
These little beauties might seem standard… but I’m telling you, they are perfect in their simplicity! I love me a lemon cookie, and paired with lemon curd or strawberry preserves in these thumbprints, makes my heart happy. The granulated sugar on the outside of the cookie gives it a slight crunch, while the inside is smooth and melty. I’m a fan.
MY OTHER RECIPES
Also because I know some of you will ask, no…there are no eggs in these cookies. They’re a lot like a shortbread base, which is basically my favorite. Plus, yay for egg allergy people!
The dough comes together super quickly, and then you roll them into balls, then into granulated sugar for some extra crunch and sparkle…THEN pick your favorite preserves, curd, or jam and get to filling!
I am a huge fan of strawberry preserves in these cookie or lemon curd if you wanna go big on the lemon!
Bake them and bask in their beauty…
And of course I recommend a healthy drizzle of icing. Or you can use white chocolate. You’re call!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup lemon curd or strawberry preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix butter and 3/4 cups granulated sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour mixing until just incorporated.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (2 tablespoons), scoop the dough out and roll into balls. Place the ball into the granulated sugar and coat.
- Place the dough into the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart, and press dough in the center of each ball with a spoon or your thumb to create a well. Place a 1/2 teaspoon amount of lemon curd or preserves into the well.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth and no lumps remain. Transfer the glaze to a small zip-top bag and snip the corner off the bag with scissors. Drizzle the glaze on top of the cookies.
- Allow the glaze to set.